The Harvey School
260 Jay St, Katonah, NY 10536
The school was founded by Dr. Herbert Carter, a physician from New York City. Originally located at Dr. Carter's farm in Hawthorne, Harvey provided the traditional education of an English prep school for boys in grades 4-8. In 1959, construction on the Taconic Parkway forced the school to relocate to the 100-acre Sylvan Weil estate, where it started to draw a population of day students. Harvey began the transition to its current structure with a middle and an upper school in 1969 and subsequently, in 1971, enrolled the first female day students. In 1987, the boarding program was converted to a five-day option and girls were given the option to board. Harvey offers a traditional college preparatory curriculum, with classes ranging from basic levels to Advanced Placement and honors courses. Pupils attend small classes while fulfilling requirements in English, math, science, history and the arts. The Krasne Project provides for the integration of computer technology into most subjects and allows students to work at two Internet-accessible computer labs. Strong art, music, drama and creative writing programs enrich the curriculum. Extracurriculars are mandatory for all except junior and senior day students. Most compete in Harvey's interscholastic athletic program, and a range of clubs and other activities is also available. Pupils may specially arrange off-campus participation in such pursuits as gymnastics, martial arts, skiing and swimming.
|Academic Orientation||College Preparatory|
|Grade Range||Boarding — Coed Grades 9-12; Day — Coed 6-12|
|Coed, Boys, or Girls||Coed|
|Full Address||260 Jay St, Katonah, NY 10536|
|Administrator||Barry W. Fenstermacher|