The Governor's Academy
1 Elm St, Byfield, MA 01922
The oldest boarding school in continuous operation in the country, the academy was founded as Governor Dummer Academy by Lt. Gov. William Dummer of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, who bequeathed his beautiful Byfield home and 600-acre farm for that purpose. Under the celebrated Samuel Moody, who made it a grammar school of the earlier type, so many boys were prepared for "the College" that, between 1768 and 1790, one-fourth of Harvard's graduates were from the academy. Originally a boys' school, the school first accepted girls as day students in 1971, then as boarders in 1973. Governor's assumed its present name in July 2006. The school's curriculum stresses in-depth exploration of critical academic skills and abilities. Class sessions place an emphasis upon discussion and debate, and the use of a variety of methods and materials are characteristics of the curriculum. Hands-on lab and field experiments, oral presentations, group research, exhibits and technology-assisted presentations supplement traditional assessments (exams and papers). In addition, the academy maintains such structures as extra-help sessions, an advisory system and a supervised evening study program to assist boys and girls with time-management and study skills. An afternoon program provides opportunities in athletics, drama and community service. Boys and girls complete 100 hours of community service prior to graduation. Student exchanges are arranged with two boarding schools in Kenya. Governor's offers a full visual and performing arts program, in addition to numerous clubs and activities. Students are encouraged to develop self-discipline, individual responsibility, and respect for and an ability to work with others.
|Academic Orientation||College Preparatory|
|Grade Range||Boarding and Day — Coed Grades 9-12|
|Coed, Boys, or Girls||Coed|
|Full Address||1 Elm St, Byfield, MA 01922|
|Administrator||Peter H. Quimby|