The Episcopal Academy
1785 Bishop White Dr, Newtown Square, PA 19073
One of the country's largest Episcopal day schools, Episcopal Academy was founded in Philadelphia by the Right Reverend William White, the first Episcopal bishop of Pennsylvania and a signee of the Declaration of Independence. Originally established to teach boys Anglican doctrine and to train clergy, the academy soon opened free schools to educate a broader population. EA moved to Merion in 1921, opened a second campus for the lower school (grades PS-5) in 1973 in the western suburbs of Devon, and adopted coeducation in 1974. Recognizing the need for a larger, unified campus, the school moved in fall 2008 to its current, 123-acre campus in Newtown Square. Students enroll from a 30-mile radius. The academy's student body represents diverse religious, racial and ethnic backgrounds. The college preparatory curriculum, with individualized student scheduling, features strong technology and fine and performing arts programs. The science department arranges intensive internships with scientists and institutions in a range of fields, usually in the summer. Competitive athletics and an inclusive chapel program are other important aspects of school life. EA provides boys and girls with various opportunities for foreign travel and study. Students voluntarily engage in community service both on and off campus.
|Academic Orientation||College Preparatory|
|Grade Range||Day — Coed Grades PS (Age 4)-12|
|Coed, Boys, or Girls||Coed|
|Full Address||1785 Bishop White Dr, Newtown Square, PA 19073|
|Administrator||Thomas J. Locke|