300 E Seminary St, Mercersburg, PA 17236
The history of Mercersburg goes back to 1836, when Marshall College was founded here. In 1853, Marshall College moved to Lancaster, where it joined with Franklin College to become Franklin and Marshall College, but the preparatory department of the college continued on its original site under private direction until 1865, when it was chartered as Mercersburg College. In 1893, the board of regents of the college elected William Mann Irvine to lead the institution. Within months, Dr. Irvine changed the college's name to Mercersburg Academy and began his work as the founder and first headmaster of the present-day school. He opened the school that same year with an enrollment of 40 boys. The academy became coeducational in 1969. The curriculum provides a rigorous college preparatory course of study. Admitting students of above-average ability who have been achieving well, the school maintains small classes. The major disciplines are English, foreign language, mathematics, science and history, with requirements in religion and the fine arts. Advanced Placement work is available in all academic areas. Foreign study opportunities are provided for a limited number of students through Mercerburg's affiliation with the School Year Abroad program and the English-Speaking Union. Mercersburg maintains an extensive fine and performing arts department that features instrumental and voice opportunities; theater productions; ballet, modern dance and hip-hop; and musical theater.
|Academic Orientation||College Preparatory|
|Grade Range||Boarding and Day — Coed Grades 9-PG|
|Coed, Boys, or Girls||Coed|
|Full Address||300 E Seminary St, Mercersburg, PA 17236|