6101 Wilson Ln, Bethesda, MD 20817
Paul Landon Banfield, a graduate of St. John’s College who had taught and coached at Emerson Institute and Dewitt Preparatory School, founded this school for boys with his wife, Mary Lee. The school relocated in 1934 from its original location on Massachusetts Avenue in Washington, DC, to a campus on Bradley and Wilson lanes in Bethesda. Two years later, the school moved to its present, 75-acre location. Landon’s structured college preparatory program emphasizes a solid grounding in fundamental academic skills while seeking to promote intellectual curiosity, artistic impression and social awareness. Leadership and character development are a top priority at all levels. In grade 3, the school provides a self-contained, traditional classroom setting. Departmentalization begins in grade 4. During the middle school years (grades 6-8), the rigorous academic program focuses on the development of critical-thinking skills. Upon reaching the upper school (grades 9-12), boys encounter a less structured program that allows for independent study and a greater degree of personal responsibility. Required courses—including a junior year humanities class—and activities are replaced by increased elective choices, and pupils select from a broad range of advanced classes. Community service, which is built into the lower and middle school curricula, is a popular optional activity for upper school students.
|Academic Orientation||College Preparatory|
|Grade Range||Day — Boys Grades 3-12|
|Coed, Boys, or Girls||Boys|
|Full Address||6101 Wilson Ln, Bethesda, MD 20817|
|Administrator||David M. Armstrong|