597 Broadview Ave, Warrenton, VA 20186
Founded as the Warrenton branch of the Calvert School of Baltimore, MD, this school initially utilized the Calvert curriculum. Founders Lavinia Hamilton and Dorothy Montgomery moved the school on a couple of occasions to accommodate growth; the institution assumed its present location in 1957. That same year, an independent program replaced the Calvert system, and the name was changed to Highland School. A group of community leaders acquired the school in 1961. Developmental in nature, the prekindergarten through fifth grade program emphasizes skill development in language arts, mathematics, social studies, science, computer science, foreign language, music, art and physical education. Specialist teachers conduct science, computer, foreign language, music, art and physical education classes during these years. Children in grades 6-8 take six courses per semester in the standard disciplines, including Latin, as well as an elective from among art, drama, band, community service, forensics and chorus. Pupils in grades 4-8 participate in interscholastic athletics. Highland's comprehensive college preparatory curriculum in grades 9-12 includes honors and Advanced Placement courses and selections in science, the humanities, and the fine and performing arts. The upper school provides both honors and standard college preparatory levels; pupils need not take classes at exclusively one level or the other, however. All Highland upper schoolers take a music course and an art class. Students in grades 9-11 perform 20 hours of required community service annually, while 12th graders complete a senior service project. Field trips provide enrichment in the arts and sciences.
|Academic Orientation||College Preparatory|
|Grade Range||Day — Coed Grades PS (Age 3)-12|
|Coed, Boys, or Girls||Coed|
|Full Address||597 Broadview Ave, Warrenton, VA 20186|
|Administrator||Henry D. Berg|