340 Morris Rd, PO Box 287, Fort Washington, PA 19034
The oldest nonsectarian independent day school in the country, GA was founded as Germantown Union School. The academy served both boys and girls on its original campus in the Germantown section of Philadelphia until 1836, when, by virtue of demand for space, the enrollment was limited to boys. A generous land gift in 1959 facilitated the school's move to its present, 126-acre campus in Fort Washington in 1961; the same year, GA reinstated coeducation. The curriculum includes course requirements in English, history, mathematics, science, foreign language, the visual and performing arts, and physical education. Qualified students may complete Advanced Placement work in computer science and the major disciplines. Technology is an important aspect of the program: in addition to classroom computers, the academy maintains computer labs and provides extensive Internet access. All middle and upper school pupils have E-mail addresses. Among other opportunities are an independent, off-campus study project at the end of senior year; elective summer internship programs; the Academy Scholars program for sophomores and juniors; and foreign exchange programs in France, Spain and Latin America. GA provides numerous opportunities for pupils to satisfy middle and upper school extracurricular requirements. An extensive interscholastic sports program begins at the middle school level, and many on-campus clubs and activities are also available. Choral and orchestral groups travel and perform abroad and throughout the US on an annual basis.
|Academic Orientation||College Preparatory|
|Grade Range||Day — Coed Grades PS (Age 4)-12|
|Coed, Boys, or Girls||Coed|
|Full Address||340 Morris Rd, PO Box 287, Fort Washington, PA 19034|
|Administrator||James W. Connor|