French American International School and International High School

150 Oak St, San Francisco, CA 94102

Founded as the French-American Bilingual School, French American changed its name in 1984 to reflect its growing international focus and established the International High School in 1976. In 1997, French American and International High School moved from rented facilities at the University of California Extension complex to their present location at the International Schools Campus in San Francisco's Civic Center. Approximately 70 percent of French American's students are American; the remaining 30 percent represent numerous countries and languages. No previous French language background is required to enter the lower school at the prekindergarten or kindergarten level or the ninth grade of International High School. English as a Second Language and French as a Second Language are available, in addition to Spanish and Mandarin at the high school level. French is the language of instruction 80 percent of the time throughout the early childhood immersion program, while, in grades 3-5, students are taught academic subjects half the time in French and half in English. A third language (Mandarin, German, Italian or Spanish) is introduced in sixth grade. Students at International High School choose between the French Baccalaureate and the International Baccalaureate programs; in addition, they may prepare for Advanced Placement exams. Graduates matriculate at universities throughout the world, and those enrolling at American universities may enter with up to a full year of college credit. All high school students participate in a cocurricular program consisting of such "creative, action and service" activities as drama, art, theater, sports and various community service programs. In addition, each pupil at this level satisfies a 25-hour annual service requirement. Exchange trips allow participants to live and learn with students and families of the host country. Opportunities also exist for extended study abroad.

General Information

Academic OrientationCollege Preparatory, IB Diploma, Fr Baccalaureate, Bilingual (French )
Grade RangeDay — Coed Grades PS (Age 3)-12
Coed, Boys, or GirlsCoed
Full Address150 Oak St, San Francisco, CA 94102
Other Locations66 Page St, San Francisco 94102
Telephone415-558-2000
Fax415-558-2024
Year Established1962
Legal StatusNonprofit
Religious Affiliation(None)
AdministratorEllen Deitsch Stern
Applications DueJanuary
Total Enrollment1,021
Day Students1,021
Boys469
Girls552
International Baccalaureate ProgramsDiploma
Win $1,000
for school!
Register here
Follow PSSearch on Twitter