110 Darrow Rd, New Lebanon, NY 12125
Darrow occupies the 360-acre site and buildings of the first and largest organized Shaker village in America, established in 1787. Originally the Lebanon School for Boys, which opened its doors under the direction of Charles H. Jones, the school was later renamed after George Darrow, the farmer who had originally donated the land to the Shakers, and became coeducational in 1970. The school offers a college preparatory curriculum within a structured, supportive environment. Small classes, individual advisors, supervised study and a strong tutorial program provide individual attention for each student. Darrow recognizes different learning styles and serves students with a variety of abilities. The comprehensive curriculum offers a range of courses in English, history, languages, mathematics and science, as well as art, music and drama. A number of electives are also available. A weeklong program of intensive experiential learning courses is conducted each spring. An important aspect of the academic program is its environmental focus: An environmental center features a working wastewater treatment process situated in an 1800-square-foot greenhouse. Hands-on assistance with the center's operation familiarizes pupils with new technologies, and students develop public-speaking skills by conducting tours of the facility. As an outgrowth of the Shaker motto "Hands to Work, Hearts to God," the school sets aside Wednesday mornings to foster the dignity of labor and cooperative effort. All members of the community—administrators, teachers and students—participate in such projects and tasks as chopping wood, making apple cider and maple syrup, landscaping, woodworking and Habitat for Humanity.
|Academic Orientation||College Preparatory|
|Grade Range||Boarding and Day — Coed Grades 9-12|
|Coed, Boys, or Girls||Coed|
|Full Address||110 Darrow Rd, New Lebanon, NY 12125|
|Administrator||Nancy Maslack Wolf|