1014 Cave Spring Rd, Rome, GA 30161
The school was founded as an independent day school by John Paul and Alice Allgood Cooper and was named for Joseph James Darlington, who had been Mr. Cooper's teacher at a private school in Rome. The boarding department opened in 1923, as did a lower school in 1973. That same year, Darlington established coeducation through a merger with the Thornwood School for girls, founded in 1958. Students follow a required core curriculum including foreign language and the fine arts, and they may pursue special interests through a wide range of electives. Honors courses are available in most subject areas, and Advanced Placement courses are also offered in many disciplines. Students in grades 9-12 satisfy a 15-hour annual community service requirement. Both boys and girls may participate in varsity athletics, and intramural offerings include traditional sports and such activities as aerobics and lacrosse. On-campus weekend activities are scheduled, as are frequent excursions to Atlanta and Chattanooga, TN. A faculty advisor assists each resident student with academic and extracurricular matters. In addition, the school matches boarders with local families—usually headed by parents of a current day student—in an effort to provide further support.
|Academic Orientation||College Preparatory|
|Grade Range||Boarding — Coed Grades 9-PG; Day — Coed PS (Age 4)-PG|
|Coed, Boys, or Girls||Coed|
|Full Address||1014 Cave Spring Rd, Rome, GA 30161|
|Administrator||Thomas C. Whitworth III|